Instead, they will be fully replaced by 3D models. Brands can use 3D models in experiences such as ‘View in 3D’, ‘View in your Room’, ‘Virtual Try-on’, and ‘Showroom’ which can boost customer engagement and confidence in purchasing your product.
Why is Amazon shifting from 360 to 3D models?
Currently, most listings accept both 360-degree and 3D modelling. As these content types are similar, and 3D models are compatible with a wider range of experiences, Amazon will be discontinuing 36-degree images.
Any listings with a 360-degree image won’t be affected unless a 3D model is added.
What are the benefits of 3D models?
The adoption of 3D models brings forth a range of benefits for both sellers and customers. Brands leveraging 3D models can integrate them into experiences such as those we mentioned above – View in 3D, View in Your Room, Virtual Try-on, and Showroom.
Customers get a richer, more immersive experience to learn about your products. With 3D content, customers can virtually try on shoes or eyewear, visualise what an item will look like in their own space, or virtually rotate and zoom in on the product from any direction to see features that might be missed through traditional photography.
Here are some stats from Amazon on 3D models:
- There was an 8X increase in customers who viewed a product in AR at Amazon, from 2018 to 2022.
- 2X improvement in purchase conversion observed on average in 2022 when AR Virtual Try-On (shoes and eyewear) or View in 3D is enabled on an Amazon product listing.
- 94% of customers surveyed by Amazon said they would use Virtual Try-On again (2022 survey of over 2,000 Amazon customers).
- 9% improvement in sales was observed on average when View in Your Room is enabled on an Amazon product listing.
What markets will not accept 360-degree models?
Like with most new updates this will not be applicable globally. To begin with, only brand owners in these markets will be affected; The US, UK, Germany, Spain, France and Italy.
While there is no announcement when this will be rolled out globally, you can expect it will take a few months of testing
Updates to 3D modelling
1. Faster uploads
You can upload 3D models instantly in Seller Central! Before you had to contact selling partner support for them to review your 360-degree image and then for it to be uploaded – so this saves some time.
2. Mobile Scanning
This is what we are excited about though – Amazon are also working on a new tool that allows you to use your phone to scan your product and create a 3D model!
For select ASINs, you can scan your product in 5 –10 minutes using the iOS Amazon Seller mobile app. Amazon will then create the 3D models for you, currently at no cost.
To check for access, scan the code to download or open the Amazon Seller app and look for “Create 3D Models” in the main menu. This feature is in development so it is not rolled out globally, but keep checking your Seller Central to see if you have been given access!
How to add 3D models to your product listings
It’s super simple to add a 3D model to your product listing. Select product categories, such as home, furniture, consumer electronics, shoes and eyewear which are currently the categories that support 3D content, allowing customers to evaluate the products.
To upload 3D models to your product listings, follow these steps:
Note: Before starting, ensure that you have 2-10 reference photos and accurate product dimensions ready to submit along with your 3D model. 3D models must be in GLB or GLTF format. For more information on file requirements, go to Product 3D models.
- In Seller Central, go to Catalogue and select Upload images.
- Select Image manager.
- In the left pane, search for your product using either ASIN or SKU.
- From the search results, select your product for which you want to upload a 3D model.
- In the right pane, check for the Registered Brand Owner icon. You will only be able to upload 3D content for items which have you listed as the registered brand owner. If you still receive this error after verifying these data points, contact Brand Registry for assistance.
- In the right pane, go to 3D models and select Upload 3D assets.
- Follow the instructions on the page to upload your reference materials and 3D model.
- All submissions must be evaluated against Amazon’s quality standards and may require retouches before publication. To determine if your submission was published successfully or requires additional action, go to the Submission status tab. Most submissions are reviewed within two weeks.
Amazon is always looking to improve its experiences for shoppers and brands alike to keep engagement and conversion high, as the way we consume online content and use the internet constantly evolves.
3D models are becoming a staple in showcasing products in a more immersive and engaging way, and this announcement solidifies this shift.
We also just really love what you can do with 3D models! It enhances the customer experience and gives you a chance to show off your product which can lead to increased sales.
Need our help?
Want to know how to utilise 3D models effectively within your product listings? Ask us! Just send us a message or give us a call and we can talk you through it.
Who are we?
This Is Unicorn is a full-service agency supporting brands on Amazon. We work as an official Amazon partner and offer services ranging from SEO optimisation, to auditing Amazon PPC campaigns, and everything in between.